Followers

11:38 PM

Seeing Scarlet in Al-Ain?

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |

I missed my friend who also homeschools her two boys. I know she's been busy but she SAID she'd call me and tell me when the soccer game was getting together so I could check it out if my daughter wanted to join. Still no call....

Until this evening when i was winding down for a nap with my kids. I really couldn't BELIEVE her excuse for not calling! I mean I beleived that it happend to her but I couldn't beleive it's rampent here suddenly. I'm talking about the fact that both her kids have come down with SCARLET FEVER. Beyond shocked I was. Worse yet she had never even heard of the disease having origionally come from England (where I'm guessing it's not so prevelent?) The only way she knows what it is is from Al-Ain English Speaking School posting a note that an epidemic of Scarlet Fever was going around. Her neighbor's kids go to schools and her homeschooled kids play with them thus getting it. I can't say it enough, I'm still SHOCKED. After I hung up I mesasged the news to my husband and to my other friend here who has a young daughter. Then i went online to google it. I came up with these sources about it...

apprently it's just really annoying for a week and a half but if there are complications it can turn almost sometimes deadly (Rheumatic fever) a week or two after the disease runs it course. SubhanAllah.

Here are some links for those curious about it.

"What causes scarlet fever?
Scarlet fever is due to a throat infection caused by a bacterium (germ) called streptococcus. There are various strains (types) of streptococcus. They cause various infections, and one strain causes scarlet fever." -Patient UK

"It is characterized by:
-Sore throat
-Fever
-Bright red tongue with a "strawberry" appearance
-Characteristic rash, which: is fine, red, and rough-textured; it blanches upon pressure
appears 12–48 hours after the fever generally starts on the chest, armpits, and behind the ears
is worse in the skin folds
-Pastia lines (where the rash runs together in the arm pits and groins) appear and persist after the rash is gone may spread to cover the uvula.
-The rash begins to fade three to four days after onset and desquamation (peeling) begins. "This phase begins with flakes peeling from the face. Peeling from the palms and around the fingers occurs about a week later."[2] Peeling also occurs in axilla, groin, and tips of the fingers and toes.[3] " -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_fever

"Preventing Scarlet Fever
The bacterial infection that causes scarlet fever is contagious. A child who has scarlet fever can spread the bacteria to others through nasal and throat fluids by sneezing and coughing. If a child has a skin infection caused by strep bacteria, like impetigo, it can be passed through contact with the skin.
In everyday life, there is no perfect way to avoid the infections that cause scarlet fever. When a child is sick at home, it's always safest to keep that child's drinking glasses and eating utensils separate from those of other family members, and to wash these items thoroughly in hot soapy water. Wash your own hands frequently as you care for a child with a strep infection.
Treating Scarlet Fever
If your child has a rash and the doctor suspects scarlet fever, he or she will usually take a throat culture (a painless swab of throat secretions) to see if the bacteria grow in the laboratory. Once a strep infection is confirmed, the doctor will likely prescribe an antibiotic for your child to be taken for about 10 days.
Caring for a Child With Scarlet Fever
A child with severe strep throat may find that eating is painful, so providing soft foods or a liquid diet may be necessary. Include soothing teas and warm nutritious soups, or cool soft drinks, milkshakes, and ice cream. Make sure that the child drinks plenty of fluids.
Use a cool-mist humidifier to add moisture to the air, since this will help soothe the sore throat. A moist warm towel may help to soothe swollen glands around your child's neck.
If the rash itches, make sure that your child's fingernails are trimmed short so skin isn't damaged through scratching.
When to Call the Doctor
Call the doctor whenever your child suddenly develops a rash, especially if it is accompanied by a fever, sore throat, or swollen glands. This is especially important if your child has any of the symptoms of strep throat, or if someone in your family or in your child's school has recently had a strep infection." -KidsHealth.org

"When Scarlet Fever turns to Rheumatic fever:
it[RF] is common worldwide and responsible for many cases of damaged heart valves. In Western countries, it became fairly rare since the 1960s, probably due to widespread use of antibiotics to treat streptococcus infections. While it is far less common in the United States since the beginning of the 20th century, there have been a few outbreaks since the 1980s. Although the disease seldom occurs, it is serious and has a mortality of 2–5%.[3]
Rheumatic fever primarily affects children between ages 5 and 15 years and occurs approximately 20 days after strep throat or scarlet fever. In up to a third of cases, the underlying strep infection may not have caused any symptoms."



I remember seeing posters in elementry school in the nurses office of a miserable child covered in spots with large words saying "Prevent Scarlet Fever". Never even met someone who had it but subhanAllah now I have, all the way in UAE. So I'm taking my precautions and going to avoid other children for a week or two to be on the safe side, no parks no places where kids cough and sneeze all over everything including the kids play places at the malls. Alhamdulillah they aren't in schools. Just letting everyone in Al-Ain/UAE know to take precautions for their kids.

5 intelligent thoughts:

Anonymous said...

My brother had it here in Canada not too many years ago, but nobody else did. My mom thought he was faking sick (he often did), until he broke out in spots. I guess everybody else with strep throat got treated in time. Little kids sure do spread infections around.

Mrs. S said...

Yikes! Inshallah your kids are okay.

Yasemin said...

This post really appeals to me because just the other day I had to BEG my doctor to test my sore throat for strep. I'm glad he did!

Does it follow that the scarlet fever stems from an untreated strep infection or is scarlet fever a more virulent strain of strep that can't be stopped as easily?

Good that you are looking at precautions for this Brandy. I think I'd be so glad to homeschool at a time like this.

Sorry to be a stranger. I got to tell you, I am LOVING this new format and these new posts. Very interesting and fun. I can tell that you are enjoying writing more and more. Love you SO much dear.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I totally feel for you! Every mother's nightmare! Right now we are dealing with the fear of the Swine Flu here! Especially with us being so close to Mexico!. Take care of those kiddos!

Anonymous said...

My daughter had strep which went undiagnosed for 10 days even though I took her to the doctor three times I was sent home. Finally she broke out in a rash all over her body and when we took her to the ER we where told she had scarlet fever due to the undiagnosed strep.

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed