Followers

8:30 AM

Say "ALLAH"

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |



When I was an atheist teenager the thought of saying the word God made me cringe. I'd walk by a nun and shudder. Churches gave me the creeps. I viewed those with faith as people blinded.

Now not a moment goes by that I don't say something that is related to God.
Sneeze: Alhamdulillah, Yarhamukallah..., Praise be to Allah, (roughly like: May Allah Bless You)
Eat: Bismillah, In the name of Allah
Go Potty: A'udu billahi minaShaytanir Rajiim, I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected Satan.
How are you?": "Alhamdulillah, Praise be to Allah.
"Can you? What do you think?": "Insha'Allah, by Allah's Will or Allah Willing...

Sometimes I even feel just breathing you feel yourself saying it in your head
IN : Subhan-
OUT: -ALLAH
IN: ALLAHU-
OUT: AKBAR
IN: Alhamdu-
OUT: -lillah

For me talking all day about God is not enough. Not even if I said Allah with every breath would it be good enough to thank Him for all He does for us. There are blessings we have WE DONT EVEN KNOW OF! SubhanAllah!



My favorite du'a is : I praise Allah by the number of His Creation and His pleasure, by the weight of His throne, and the ink of His words.

That means for every grain of sand, every ant, every drop of water, every molecule and every atom created I praise Him by. Still this is not good enough. Allah is deserving of more.
May Allah make it easy for us to Praise Him in the manner most befiting Him that pleases Him.

I know it's hard for people that used to know me to imagine me always saying things about God but this is Islamic life always focusing our lives upon worshiping and drawing closer to Allah. With every act we do even something tedious as washing dishes, you say bismillah In the name of God. While you scrub away mindlessly you have time to reflect more about Allah. You have time as you rinse to say Tasbih, praising Allah. As you put them away you have time to thank Allah.



I enjoy my time meeting with sisters in Islam more than non-Muslims because they understand fully my passion for speaking about God and faith and aren't uncomfortable about anything I might say. I certainly don't have to watch my tongue for "preachyness" like I do with non-Muslims. I feel sometimes even talking to my parents I can't say God too much or they feel uncomfortable. I must reign in my tongue and my heart and deny myself what comes naturally when talking to non-Muslims. Sometimes if I feel they can take it though I don't bother to reign it in but mostly I have to. It's been a big blessing Alhamdulliah to live here in the Middle East where you can talk more freely. Even the Christian Taxi Drivers in Lebanon understood the phrases I used all the time. "Go Downtown?" "Yes, insha'Allah." "Here you are!" "Alhamdulillah, thanks!"

Sometimes I wonder if I go back to America will I always have to be translating what I say? Will a Alhamdulliah slip out and someone looks at me funny and I go "Oh, it means Praise be to God." and they give that uncomfortable pause...

Though I think it's strange that no one comments on the sterotypical Black Elderly woman loudly commenting "Praise the Lord, God Almighty" yet if I were to say the same in the same way I'd get some funny looks. In fact once when my Grandmother was in the Hospital next to her was a very frail elderly black woman who just laid there in her bed looking at death's door and mumbling Praises to God. I felt more closer to her than my own grandmother at the time. I even went over and held her hand and made du'a that her suffering would be eased in this life. She had a clear strong faith and wasn't afraid to show it. She didn't care I was Muslim at all. She smiled warmly and gripped my hand as we both Praised God. I want to be like that when I'm nearing death should I live to be so old.

Sometimes we don't realize the idle time we have that we can be using more efficiently to praise Allah, the one Who Created Time. Insha'Allah we become better at it.
People search and search for the meaning of life but we in Islam have already found it and try our best to impliment it. WORSHIPING GOD is the only meaning to our lives. We should do all we can to facilitate this task.



Insha'Allah we will be Judged as Worthy to behold Allah in Jannah.

4 intelligent thoughts:

Yasmeen said...

Allahuakbar!

Yasemin said...

This was such a beautiful post. I'd be interested to hear more about your journey from Atheism to Islam anytime. I can understand completely why you'd want to spend more time with the Muslim girls than the non-believers. I often feel the same. I suppose that Allah makes da'wah difficult on purpose, so that you'll continue to be tested and remain humble about it. Don't give up Brandy on us. There are girls who would delight in hearing about Allah. Believe me.

Aalya said...

Mashallah it is true...that we should be praising God all the time! Nice reminder here... especially while doing the mundane tasks we could be reciting zikir.... I agree that in non-muslim surroundings when you 'praise God' people will look at you strangely. Inshallah we can have the strength to do it anyway!

Desert Housewife A. (The Canadian in Jubail) said...

Asalaamu `alaikum!

I enjoy my time meeting with sisters in Islam more than non-Muslims because they understand fully my passion for speaking about God and faith and aren't uncomfortable about anything I might say. I certainly don't have to watch my tongue for "preachyness" like I do with non-Muslims. I feel sometimes even talking to my parents I can't say God too much or they feel uncomfortable. I must reign in my tongue and my heart and deny myself what comes naturally when talking to non-Muslims.

I agree with you! Jazaki Allah khair for the incitful post :-D

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed