Followers

11:55 PM

Ridding Ghosts?

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |

Long ago before I was Muslim I used to dabble a bit in Witchcraft with some of my friends.

My family and I moved in with my grandfather and I temporarily got to have the library as my room. There was nothing better than waking to a room stuffed with books everyday. But I had a lot of nightmares and scary feelings always in that room. Sometimes I'd wake up screaming. A few times I'd wake trying to scream but nothing would come out. Those were the worst.

Finally I was moved down the hall to the former office room (which used to belong to my Aunt when she was younger). It felt very peaceful and wonderful. I painted it a beautiful color of blue called Blue Flame with African Jewel Lavender trims. Pure relaxation. But when I'd walk down the long hall towards the green bathroom at the end, I'd have to pass the Library. A sudden dread out of nowhere would fill me and my hair would raise off my skin and I would get so scared and creeped out. If other people were around this wouldn't happen. If someone was sitting in there reading or something I never felt it. Only when it was empty.
Many nights I refused to go to the bathroom so I wouldn't have to pass that room. If the door was closed I didn't feel it, only when it was open and my family had a habit of leaving it open a crack at night.
When I badly had to go I'd creep slowly down the hall and glide along the wall furthest from the door until I could see if it was closed or not. Many nights that inky black crack glared out at me filling me with unknown dread. I do have an active imagination but this was different, I wasn't trying to imagine anything. I was purposely trying to clear my mind to enhance reality but it wouldn't help. There was something evil in that room.
I'd take a few breaths to steel myself then reach my hand closer and closer to the doorknob to pull it shut. Every inch seemed to be wanting me to be sucked back into that land of nightmares. Finally I'd manage to touch the cool knob and firmly shut it. But I could still feel it seething behind the door. I would quickly go to the bathroom then rush back to my peaceful room to sleep.
Eventually my Maternal Grandmother's health was deteriorating and it was decided she would move into my Paternal Grandfather's house with us. They emptied the floor of the Library to prepare for her to move in. I was horrified. I went to my favorite Wiccan (witchcraft) sites and was madly browsing how to rid the room of evil spirits. Finding the perfect solution I rummaged my room for the previous Halloween's 2 black tapered candles as the spell required. I knew they would come in handy when I bought them on a whim.

My family had gone out shopping to get her furniture then to pick her up. I entered the Library filled with sunlight but still felt the gloom of evil hanging around. I did not want that thing to effect my grandmother's health and give her nightmares too. I placed the two candles on both sides of the room and then lit them. I recited the opening spell and began to speak directly to the unwanted spirit.
I informed it as the spell required that it was no longer allowed to live here and had permission to leave and was banned from returning. (The spell said it more eloquently but I've forgotten the words now --alhamdulillah--). Then i finished the incantations and brought the lit candles together in the center of the room and on the last word of the spell blew them out together. I used my Gift for Feeling to test the room. It had gone. The spell had said either the spirit would leave the house through the walls out into the world to find another home or it would have been sucked into the candles and would remain therein until they were lit again. I felt the far wall and didn't feel anything odd. I picked up the candles and they seemed heavier than before. I felt a shudder holding them. I threw them on a shelf out of sight.
But it had seemed to work, the room felt happy and clear again. When my family returned and set up the room for my grandmother I was satisfied her health would not be effected by the room ever again.
The next day I took the candles to school in my backpack and showed them to my friends and explained SHORTLY what I had done. Jen (over at A Day in the Life of a Struggling Artist) said she'd take them. I warned her though never to lite them. Years later she said she did so I don't know what happened with that. Perhaps she can finish the tale for us here in comments...

Now I'm Muslim it's hard to know what to think about that. Was it a bad Jinn? Had it really left through the magic I had used? We Muslims do believe Magic exists but we are forbidden from using it and dealing with those who do as All Power comes from Allah. Many times after this I tried at night to go past the library and use my Gift of Feeling to test it but nothing ever felt bad again. I even tried imagining it but it didn't work.

Later when I met my Muslim Roommate and we were about to move into a new apartment she said she had learned we read certain ayahs from the Qur'an to protect the home from Jinn. We had her ex-husband come over and read the proper verses since we both weren't well versed in Qur'an. Also when I Feel something odd I always recite Qur'an now. If I wake from a bad dream I do the same. Oddly enough sometimes in my dreams I'm battling evil forces by loudly reciting qur'an and they are always shrinking back from the power of it and I wake feeling invigorated.
*UPDATE* -Jen finished the story of the Black Candles in the comments so check it out!!!

Have you ever experienced something like this? Let us know either through comments or link me on your blog.

23 intelligent thoughts:

Melodic Muslimah said...

I used to be into witchraft too, subhanAllah we've changed!

There is nothing more beautifully written in this world than the Qur'an Al-Kariim.

An Amazing story Sister.

Can you check out my blog and take the poll in the post? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Salam Brandy, what a post, you brought back the fascination i had at one time, even more mother thought she was telepathic..

SubhanAllah... thank god its all over!

hey i emailed you again lol!...

and yeah more...

you have been tagged/award; check out my blog for details.
regards
minty

Strawberrylife said...

Oooo that was scary!!

I feel scared in this room (lounge) when it's darkened at night and I go to the bathroom. I race back to bed, lol.
My hub has seen jinn ( so he says;...) and read quran to feel better. I think..oh, i just realised the quran is in the bedroom. Maybe i should move it in here??
I don't know. it's dark. i should go. I'm scared now!!!
Note to self: don't read scary stories at night, you can't even watch Ghostwhisperer.

UmmLayla said...

Yeah, I was interested in Wicca myself for a time... I guess we were all searching or we would have never found Islam, right?

I have asked myself that question about jinn. I have a room in the place that I am making into a daycare that I feel that way about. If you are in the office we have set up there the door faces it. And the way we have the office set up if you are at the desk your back is to the door. I get this feeling that something is coming up behind me when I am in the office. Sometimes more, and sometimes even when DH is with me. I never mentioned it because I didn't want DH to think I'm crazy... Then one night we left him there in the building alone because he had paperwork to do and he came home telling me that he felt it too... And he even got a knife from the kitchen and put it beside him at the desk. After he did that the feeling got worse and culminated with a big bang and the sound of something moving in that room I'm talking about. He walked the bulding wth said knife thinking someone was there, he checked all the windows and the doors. Then he heard it again, and he grabbed his car keys and ran!LOL

I think they are bad jinn, although it's a subject that I have told myself I would like to understand more in Islam. I have a book about jinn and angels that I keep meaning to read... And I have seen a couple of others that I want to buy. I read quran when i am near the room... I think it does work, but the presence is still there, I just don't feel it as close. I can close the door to the office and feel safe.

Does magic work??? Well it's an interesting question. I think our intention can be projected in some cases... And even if you don't mean to effect things you can, does that make sense? This is where all the evil eye stuff comes from. I also believe that you can counter this with a strong belief that nothing will happen without the will of Allah. Reciting Quran is a way to remember that, focus on what's important, bring your mind back to Allah and remind yourself of his protection... So of course the only blue eye talismans I have are more of a running joke between myself and my DH than anything I would ever think is useful. Even if they are (and I don't think they are unless you believe in them) it would be shirk to put my faith in them, IMHO. And to go a step further... I don't even like people wearing the pendants with ayat ul kursi because I feel they are putting thier faith in the talisman not the verse, does that make sense?

OK, did I answer your question or just write a monster long response???LOL I just read a book you might like related to all of this called The Physick Book Of Deliverance Dane. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

hmmm well I guess it is up to me to finish this story then... lol After you gave me the candles I locked them away for a while. Then I forgot about them. I started having all kinds of bad dreams and was waking up paralyzed a lot and unable to move and I always felt tingly and terrified. I was cleaning out a cabinet in my room when I found those candles and remembered what you did with them and I started freaking out.
It was around Halloween. Totally weird I know but I waited until it was really late at night and I took the candles outside to the wash with me and it was crazy cold outside. I don't know it was all kind of crazy and I thought I just needed to do something with them. So I walked a little bit into the desert, broke them in half and buried them. Nothing happened when I did it. But it made me feel much better. Like a weight being lifted off me. And so that is what happened to your crazy black voodoo candles.. LOL

American Muslima Writer said...

Melodic Muslimah
Thanks for stoping by, always nice to see new faces.
Alhamdulillah we changed.

Yes well said Qur'an is wonderful.

American Muslima Writer said...

Minty, awww thanks for the nice e-mail! Yeah alhamdulillah it is done with!!!
I'll be over to your blog soon!!!

American Muslima Writer said...

Faithin in Writing,

This is why I can never watch scary movies, I scream my way thorugh them then freak out for hours afterward!!!

Yes have your husband read last 50 or 20 or 10 (can't remeber off the top of my head) ayah of Surah Bakarah (2) and of course the last 10 Surahs of the Qur'an throughout your whole house. Praying in each room daily also helps.
LMAO your husband's reactions make me laugh....Forgot to mention it was your latest post that sparked this post :)


Yiiii all these stories are creeping me out!!!

American Muslima Writer said...

UmmLayla, SubhanAllah we were all seaking and Allah guided us while leaving others remaining in the unknown beauty of islam.

Ohhh the goosebumps I have after reading this!!! I thought everyone would say it's my imagination but sooo glad others have felt this too.

WHOA about that creepy feeling, when THEY know that YOU know they are there and feel threatened by them they get worse....UGH!!!!
It took me a very long time in Islam to turn OFF that Gift of Feeling otherwise I'd just be freaked out all the time. As Jinn live with us and beside us and there is nothing we can really do about it except seek refuge with the All Powerful Allah from them and esp the bad ones.
Oh you better read Qur'an ALL over that daycare before bringing in innocent children. That jinn sounds like a BAAAAAD ONE!!! I don't blame your hubby for RUNNING!!!! But lol what good is knife to warn the invisable, you need a higher power, I know it was just to reasure himself as he thought it a intruder. I bet the Jinn was mocking the knife though. Testing his bravery. I would read the entire Qur'an (or pay to have someone do that if you cannot do it) for that building. Ugh totally gave me shudders!!!!
Also as Intention does matter greatly (even in Magic) I suggest inbetween reading Qur'an you firmly tell this spirit it MUST leave and it is not allowed to remain and return, dedicate the room as a Place for Worshipping Allah (even if it is by taking care of Children in a way pleasing to Allah).

Yes, you're right the talisman does nothing really but I feel it only serves others a reminder to watch thir eyes and say Masha'Allah for everything. I don't do the bead thing but I have a small sealed waterproof tiny 1 inch by 1 inch square of du'as and Qur'an writen and protected and I hide it under the clothes with a safety pin on my kids If I feel they are looking extra cute and might be harmed by where we are going. I feel not that IT will protect my child but the fact I intend it to stand for the du'a and Qur'an I'd love to be able to say myself continuously for their sakes. So it does again matter all about intentions. The written Qur'an HAS baraka but saying it and believeing it and KNOWING all Power comes from Allah is more powerful.
_________

I've read and heard Jinn can transform into things especially like snakes scorpians geckos spiders and such and thus why we are orered to kill them on sight. Allahu ALim, It is facsinating though eh! If you learn more let me know.

I found an interesting quote once and I'll re-post it as a post later:

Imagine you are going to see the King and you dress your best and wake up early. As you enter the castle walls you spot a beautiful lush garden with the most amazing flowers you can imagine. You stop to sniff them nd stare at them enthralled by their beauty and creation. Suddenly you look at your watch remebering why you were in that garden...you missed your appointment withthe King.
Islamic Moral: We are sometimes so taken by the creation that Allah has made like Angels, Jinn, Shaytans, worldly gains and goods, etc.. that we forget we are on a path to return to Him, the King of Kings. We shouuld always seek refuge with Allah from becoming too attached to this world.

Not a message just for you dear sister blogger but for us all....
Thank you so much for sharing this!
I love long comments and lol wrote a long one back :D
That book does sound intereting!
Salams!

American Muslima Writer said...

JEN!!!!! YA ALLAH!!! SUBHANALLAH!!! That is sooo freaky!!!!! I remember you telling me you had paralyzing dreams before but either you didn't know then they were related to the candles or forgot to mention that but this freaks me out..... That is just absolutly perfect what you did to the candles. I don't think I would have thought of that option!

Thank God you got rid of them before you had kids!!!!
LOL makes you think twice before taking "bewitched" candles again eh? I remeber your exact words after hearing what I did to them was "Cool, Can I have them?" I was like "Uhhhhhh....yeah I guess, but don't light it you might let the spirit out." "Awesome, I wont!"
Hehehe not so cool afterall eh? :p



Take precautions for your kids they are so cute, against the evil eye okay!
*mentally imagines you start freaking out ...*


Thank you so much for finishing the story, made my day to have a perfect ending :D

Anonymous said...

I remember painting that room with you. It was right before my birthday and your parents said that you couldn't go to my party until you got it done. I remember you wanted to go so you closed your closet door and only painted the part of the wall that the bed didnt cover. But if we pulled the bed away from the wall it was all unfnished. *giggle*
And you should have left the candles at school for some icky teacher to find. :) Like that B*^ch of a history teacher....what was her name again?

~Amanda

Sacrifice4Allah said...

SubhanaAllah that was strange and scary! I'm glad that nothing came to harm you or your grandmother.

Magic is certified as shirk and that's why we are forbidden from engaging in it or being associated with it. As Rasulullah (Sallallahu 'alaihi wa Sallam) said in numerour ahadith..namely:

An-Nasaa`i reports on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra) that the Prophet (Sallallahu 'alaihi wa Sallam) said:

"Whoever tied a knot and blew on it has committed an act of sorcery, and whoever commits an act of sorcery has committed an act of Shirk, and whoever wore an amulet will be left to its control."

The Prophet (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wasallam) said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." The people enquire, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they? " He said:

"To join others in worship along with Allah, to practice sorcery, to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law), to eat up riba (usury), to eat up an orphan's wealth, to give back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting, and to accuse chaste women, who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers."
Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radi Allah Ta'lah Anhu)

(Sahih Bukhari transmitted it. Vol 4:#28 of Sahih Bukhari)

The Prophet (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wasallam) said, "There are three who will not enter paradise: one who is addicted to wine, one who breaks ties of relationship, and one who believes in magic (means using it)."

Narrated by Abu Musa al-Ash'ari (Radi Allah Ta'lah Anhu); Ahmad transmitted it. 3656 of Mishkat al-Masabih.

May Allah protect us all from the evil of magic and from those who want to harm us with magic. Ameen!

Great post dear sister :)

CooL MuslimaH said...


Assalamualaikum dear sistah..

just saw ur funny comment at Sacrifice for allah"'s blog and clicked on ur blog...Whoa! mashAllah u have a whole list of bogs to your credit.

In India..every woman undergoing depression or neurotic disorder is labelled as "possessed"...

Take care sis...will seee ur other blogs when i get time..

take care
~Cool MuslimaH~

American Muslima Writer said...

Amanda, Hehehe yeah good old days of coniving.... my parents of course eventaully had to use the room for my grandma and finish off the trim I left hehehe.

Can't remeber her name now lol, but I wouldn't wish those nightmares even on my worst enemy!
:D

American Muslima Writer said...

Sacrifice, Masha'Allah as ever I love when you comment,you always have sound texts to share, masha'Allah May Allah reward you sis.

These are VERY good ones :D

Thanks so much. Alhamdulillah.

American Muslima Writer said...

Cool Muslimah,

Welcome! Always Love getting new people round here!

That is sad frankly that they are treated like that. I hope in the future more education will prevail and better health systems will make it to the masses.

Yes, I do have a lot of blogs,,,hehehe I actaully downsized a few and blended them into this one...I used to have MUCH more ;)

You are more than welcome anytime to stop in and chat :D

eyes said...

Assalamu alaikom,
It's funny you say you recite Qur'an if you wake from a bad dream. I do the same thing. LOL I always wonder if I'll wake my husband but in the middle of the night after a nightmare, I don't care, I'm too freaked out!

American Muslima Writer said...

Wa ALikum Assalam Eyes,
Alhamdulillah that works for you and LOL yeah I would be more freaked out that worried about waking others too, in fact i'd hope to wake him and get more comfort from the dream....hehehe
May Allah Protect you from such horrid dreams insha'Allah, Amin.

Sacrifice4Allah said...

Brandy,

Thanks to the pic on this post, when i went to bed last night my imagination ran away with me! That was a creepy glow in the dark pic!!

Kris said...

I'm going to come back and read comments later but I just have to say wow I was not expecting to read this lol. Long story short, I started writing about a Wiccan girl who becomes Muslim when I was in college... My cousin had just become Wiccan and I had several Muslim friends and thought it would make an interesting story line... Life has happened and I haven't finished it... Is in my head, but stuck there lol.

Back to your actual topic, I cant say what your religion teaches about it... but I have had similar things happen (minus the magick as we're not allowed to do it either). Just a year or so ago I saw a man in my hallway, could vaguely see through him but was clear... I freaked. I've had feelings before or seen shadows. This was creepy. I felt horrible later that night when I saw a pic of my husbands best friend for the first time (he died long before we met) and he was the spitting image.

OK going to read comments now lol.

Melissa said...

I too used to be into witchcraft. I have seen things that really scared me.
Mostly before I became Muslim. But, even some after.
One of the last times was 4 years ago. I was home alone with my baby, vaccuming the bedroom and felt someone walk in the room and come up behind me.
I thought my husband came home from work early or to surprise me for lunch.
Then he touched me.
I jumped and turned around, about to scream, and ready to say 'What are you doing? You scared me!'
And no one was there!!!
I got really freaked out and ran to the other room where my baby was sleeping in her swing.
I also closed my eyes one night, and the closet doors were big mirrors and it wasn't a dream because I wasn't asleep yet, but I could see the room and something was coming out of the mirror to take my baby!!
It really freaked me out! And I moved the crib closer to the bed.

Yasemin said...

Witchcraft is one of the few things I've never had an interest in, but this was one of the most interesting blog posts I've ever read.

I think that there was nothing there just because I'm not sure I believe in magic. But, you did feel it, so my thought is that you were comforted by just thinking the magic worked. That the candles were effective. When it fact you never needed them...

Almost like when a medical study is done and my friend gets the real pill and I get a placebo. Despite getting a placebo though, I feel great. Love you very dearly, so so fascinating habibty.

Honey Bee said...

Assalam Alaikum Fatima :)
I hope you're doing fine. You know your post really made me remember something. Infact, i am so excited to post on my blog about the same topic and when i do so, i will leave a link here, but one thing i really wanted to tell you was that i too have woken up while reciting Surahs to ward off evil around me. My story is a bit different, since i had an actual jin around me, but my mum says that if you wake up praying Surahs that means its' a good thing. I think she means to say is that it probably signifies that MashaAllah, the spirit wasn't able to have any control over you because of the recitation.
*shudder*

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed