Followers

7:03 PM

As if I give a FIG....

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |


Ah if dates weren't difficult enough to first try figs were even harder for me. The outsides looked liek someone's face after being pummled the insides looked like a swarm of bug eggs and worms. After 3 years in Lebanon of constantly and vehminantly refusing to eat them much to my Father-in-law's unhappiness, his sister my Aunt in law forced me to try one. She just kept pushing me and making that face that means she's not going to stop telling me to taste it until I'm stuffing 10 in my mouth. So I tasted it and WOW was it delicious. I immediatly bought two packs for Ramadan and tried to eat them quickly but soon they went bad. The dried ones are great too but here in UAE I haven't found a favorite brand. And I certainly havent seen them fresh, maybe in the souks...I'll have to search more. I really reccomend to try them even though tey look gross. :D
Ah and my FIL is now very happy to buy them for me and gives me a look saying, if you had listened to me in the first place you could have had them three years earlier.
I'm so stubborn....

8 intelligent thoughts:

Adventurous Ammena said...

lol, too cute.. i never really saw a fig (a fresh one i mean) until i was 12 and on the greek island of Rhodes.. the perfume of the squished figs under the tree on the way to the beach caused us to try. I tell u, Ive never tasted anything as amazing as the first time i tried those figs. Alhamdulillah

Anonymous said...

what is a fig? never heard of someone eating a fig? Is it a date?

American Muslima Writer said...

Ammena: SOunds absolutly delicious! Thanks for sharing with me!
_______________
UTP: welcome, I added a picture just for your benefit. A fig is a small fruit found I beleive in Mediteranean areas (maybe california too?) they are well known in the middle east as a saple food because they can be dried and last long time and like dates are nutricious and delicious. Very sweet. Try to find some near you, the fresh ones are just the best!
By the way in the Qur'an Allah swore by the Fig....

UmmAbdurRahman said...

hellooooo americans....fig newtons!!!!!!!!!!! ring a bell anyone????

hahahahaha i've always hated figs. My grandmother used to try to make me eat fig newtons and i puked every time. My husband and My son love them. WE buy really lovely organic figs here in the US and my husband devours them. he eats them so fast no need for me to refuse.

HF said...

ive neva tasted one till now.....im REALLY choosy regarding fruits n veggies i may have lots of fruit JUICES but not the fruit itself hehe i just like a handful of fruits n their juices. My mum will list all the benefits there are of this fruit n that and same for veggies but ahh ya know how it goes! hehe

Anonymous said...

Thank you, habibty, for the fig follow-up! When I was little my parents and their friends would make all of us kids go and pick figs, second, only to the production of picking grape leaves. I have never gotten over the experience. The minute I was able to legitimately excuse myself from fig picking I did. Since then I have stealthily avoided all attempts from my mother-in-law to go “picking” of any sort. Figs are on my “Top 10 - I Will Only Eat if Absolutely Necessary” list. I’m actually gagging a little just writing this.

(LOL…are you sure that you don’t have Arab blood in you? You have a love of foods it seems only the Arabs in my life appreciate. If you tell me that you willingly eat foul for breakfast I will refuse to believe that you are anything but Arab!)

American Muslima Writer said...

umm abdurrahman: hehehe I love fig newtons but growing up never had the real fruit and never associated them with the real fruit. They didn't look so icky wrapped in cookie. Glad your husband likes them though because i was begining to think NO ONE else liked them hehehe. All of you seem to have been forced to eat them and then not liked them hmmm *note to self, stop forcing kids to eat anything....*

American Muslima Writer said...

Hab: i understand how that goes lol....but do you LIke figs now? ;)
________________________
Mrs S.: You are totally making me laugh with this because another post just popped into my head....
I'm soryr you had to pick that succulent fruit ;) and those soon to be tastily cooked grapeleaves.... the rest of the question will be answered shortly.

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed