Followers

6:22 PM

NO Honking!

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |

There I was minding my own business leaving the ATM and about to make the perilous journey across the crosswalk in downtown Al-Ain on Saturady night. OK, remember to push the button to make the cars stop 'cause otherwise you'll get flatened.... remember to hide your money and credit card up your sleeve since you forgot your wallet in the car and -

BEEEEEEPPP!!!!! BEEP BE-BEEP BE-BEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!! HONK! BEEP!! HONK!!!! Went an idiot next to where I was standing. He stared furiously through his front window at a store. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! He announced rudely again really laying his weight into that horn. "Why isn't that low bred moron coming to serve me in my car because I'm far too lazy and well-bred to get my butt out of my car and go into a shop for service." He was thinking. It was written all over his face. HONK!!!! He goes again. By that time I had walked directly into his line of sight and I purposly dropped my jaw a bit and let my eyeborws rise to the top of my hijab in absolute amazement that someone could be so incredibly rude. I purposly stared him down showing my incredulousness that he was doing that. He was pratically standing over his horn and at my look he slowly sat down in his seat looking kinda sheepish. His eyes shifted side to side to the other dozens of cars parked along the street facing the shops, then he looked down until I finished passing. I didn't hear him honk again as I walked away. Then as I continued my brisk pace to get to the cross walk I noticed every other car held an Emiratian. Let me clarify that statement. Every other car, there was an Emeratian sitting in the driver seat waiting for his service to be brought to him because he couldn't see fit to physically get out of his beloved car and go into a shop and ask for what he needed. As I cut through these cars and waited as a long line of cars were pulling through the tiny parking lot. One stopped almost right in front of me and the female Emiratian driver began honking furiously and the female Emiratian passenger gestured out her window at the eatery shop. She sat right there in the driving lane of the parking holding up a long line of cars wanting to get in and cars were backing up all the way down Khalifa Street as far as I could see honking furiously because of her. I sighed and walked behind her car and all of a sudden she roared off since the service had not promptly answered her Beeping. The other cars behind her filed through the parking to where ever they wanted to go as I reached the crosswalk. I walked across the street to where my family was waiting for me to return from my bank run and got back into the car shaking my head.

Images of 50's drive ins filled my mind with chicks on rollerskates bringing service to cars. But there are a few big flaws to this image and the reality of what I experienced.

1. This was not a drive-in with special places to park and eat. This is a regular parking lot. These businesses all have indoor eating. You know Tables! Chairs! Menus!


-
2. These were not chicks with rollerblades taking orders, they were "low-bred"(in the eyes of some) workers forced to ignore their indoor customers and fly car to car changing orders here and there on the whim of a HONK!
3. Drive ins where I come from are there for people to enjoy sitting and eating in the privacy of their cars and it's fun. Here they are using this method more like a drive-thru with no thru, just drive up honk loudly, wave, order, sit there furious as it's being prepared honking every few minutes to be sure they remember you are sitting there waisting fuel.
I find this kind of mentality really disturbing. I really feel if they want food 'to go' so badly they can just call ahead or at least have the dignaty to leave their car and go to the store and order it inside and if they must wait in their car until it is finished then go get it.





My Uncle in Law who had a restraunt here said to me that if you don't rush out right away and take their arrogent orders they will drive off in a huff and then bad-mouth you to their families and friends so you don't get good business. If you rush right away and probably grovel enough they will come back again and again.
As my family reached McDonalds on Khalifa Street we got out of our cars (amazing huh?!) and walked into the restraunt (imagine that!?!) and stood in line with all the other Emiratians, Arabs, Indians (can you just believe it!?!?!) and waited for our turn to order our food. Ta-Daaa! Voila! It is THAT easy people!

7 intelligent thoughts:

Ms.Unique said...

Subhan Allah at their arrogance ..... I dunno here in Saudi but I haven't heard or seen anything like that all these years ..... but I do here they are rude at the Learning Institutes where a wealthy girl can't even get a glass of water herself when shez just standing next to the water-cooler ..... huh ! Audhobillahi min dhalik hadha ....

otowi said...

Wow, how disgusting!

HF said...

well certain places actually have the system of guys coming out to ur car to get ur order...however if NOT then this behaviour is really arrogant. I wonder how it would be if we in UAE were made to fill in our own petrol lol.

MaryAnn said...

As Salaam Alaikum, in all due fairness not all Emiratis are that way and it is not only the Emirati people who use the honking service. It is used and it is expected. You give my family's country and a lot of Emiratis a bad name.

American Muslima Writer said...

Ms. unique subhanAllah harassment for water...sigh...

otowi, exactly!

Hab I dunno about Dubai but here the restraunt didn't used to be like this but because so many peole act like this they MADE a specific person to go deal with these people because they'd loose business if they didn't. I don't mind it if it's like drive thru kinda service. But when they are acting like that guy ohhh boy!....

American Muslima Writer said...

maryanndipity: Yes not all Emiratis do this Thank GOD, and yes others have taken to doing this impolite thing too. But I'm sure it didn't start with the others. Sometimes Poeple dont have to give OTHERS a bad name when they give themselves a bad name. Sometimes the actions of quite frankly many give the people on the whole a bad view. It's not just two or three doing this it IS MANY. Unfortionatly. And it's expected because it is done so much. Doesn't always make it right. Those places that offer it and if done in a nice way I understand. Those that Honk rudely i think need to get their brains examined no matter their nationality.

Anonymous said...

Yah, i'm in the Gulf too and its incredible the sheer incompetency that abounds...
I always get a bit happy when I imagine them all in the US or Canada for school or work...LOL.

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed