Followers

5:57 AM

My Co-Wife

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |

She makes you so miserable!
Everyday you complain to me!
Yet everyday you return to her.
I miss you when you're gone.
I know when you're with her you're not thinking of me.
Your mind is full, your hands are full,
All your energy is expended.
You return to me tired and worn.
She gives you headaches and heartburn.
Yet if you never went to her,
You'd be miserable at home.
I and the kids can never take her place in your life.
Its a burden I must bear til death takes us all.
But the kids miss their Daddy.
I miss my Hubby.
She gets all your time.
Sometimes I hate her.
I hate that you need her.
I hate that I need her too.
"Kiss Daddy one more time...
He's off to work."

-Brandy A. Chase (c)2008

13 intelligent thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Salaam... Nice one. I like the ending, TRUE!

3rd... said...

brandy.. very well written - a co-wife can be anything.. LOL

Najeeba said...

Salam,

A good poem.

HF said...

I know! a co-wife could be anything....many men consider their CARS their 2nd wife hehe......anyways heyyyyyyy masha'allah! Interview request eh!!!! lemme know how it goes ok? *hugz*

Anonymous said...

The most interesting line here is, "I hate that I need her too."

This is the first I've heard of one wife "needing" another, but in view of the benefits of P marriage (which you have written about) I can see it.

I've known several women who actually preferred P marriage, but I suppose there is a big adjustment factor, and that can take time. Is this poem from your own experience?

Anonymous said...

Salaam alaikum

I thought this was just another sad polygnous sister writing about her husbands other wife.

What a surprise when at the end it was referring to your husbands job!The imagination on you.
Nice poem.

iMuslimah said...

Assalamu alaykum.

Whoa- powerful and honest.

American Muslima Writer said...

Thanks Umm Ibrahim and 3rd... lol a co-wife can be anything that takes your hubby's time away from you and your kids ;) for some poor ladies this can even be golf, fishing, bowling... anything your husband spends SOOO MUCH TIME AT! lol. thanks!

American Muslima Writer said...

Najeeba, thanks dear :D

Hab, lol yes i forgot about cars!!! ARG! "Hello dear would you like to marry me? This is my first wife though, to whom I cannot ever live without, her name is Porche. She may be a hot little number but don't get jealous, I have room for both of you in my life. We can make it work..."
HAHAHAH can't you just see that "2nd wife" seething already... lmao.

American Muslima Writer said...

Marahm, i think you missed the punchline but it's ok it was a little hazy maybe lol. My co-wife is my husband's job that takes up too much of his time. I hate that I need my husband to work so we have money to eat and live. That's how i need her.

As for relating this to actaully real Poly well all wives pretty much hate that they need to be a co-wife because their partner is unable for whatever reason to remain monogomous. They NEED the other wife to keep their husband happy... and most wives NEED a happy husband. He needs her so therefore she also needs her.

Thanks Complicated Sister, Welcome to my mind LOL. Full of wierd imaginings. Glad you liked it. I wanted some people to understnad that though work is work it is also time away from being with family and that makes people suffer. Just as when a man has more than one wife his time gets thinnned down. :D

Thanks imuslimah, i apprecate you liked it.

Susie of Arabia said...

You got me too! I know I am way behind on my blog reading, and when I read your poem I thought, Oh my! When did this happen? I must have missed her husband getting another wife! You got me, girl!!!

iMuslimah said...

I am a FOOL! Whilst I still think it is a powerful piece- I mus admit, I really thought you had a co-wife.

Im tellin ya- all I did is have a baby and I have mush for brains....

Assalamu alaykum ukhti!

American Muslima Writer said...

Suzie hehehe glad i was able to trick through words lol. SOmetimes it's fun.

heheh imuslimah, we all had babaies and we all have mush brains, it's liek a law, more babies, more mush... :)

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed