Followers

3:37 AM

Houseguests!

Wrote: American Muslima Writer |

My mother-in-law and my husband's younger sister are coming to spend 22 days in UAE with her two sons.
They are due to arrive on the 25th of June. Wow such short time left!!! Ahhhh! I've got to get my house in order. They understand I'm not the greatest housekeeper in the world but my dignity wont allow anything than 100% when they arrive. SO this friday was spent re-arranging everything in the house and fixing all the repairs that have been waiting their turn. We literally turned my house upside down. But it's looking better. I now feel I have a proper living room not just a couch a tv and a whole lotta tile. It looks comfortable and elegant and was very easy to do It's amazing what a new rug can do to a room. Now tomorrow (Sat), I have to finish re-arranging the other rooms and finalize a schedule to follow.

BUT WHAT KIND OF SCHEDULE!!!
My kids are up crazy late and though I try time and time again to re-set them it's NOT working. SO because they keep me up all night we sleep in VEEERY late. So everything is on weird time at my crazy house. While my in-laws are used to early morning schedules for school and cooking and such. I just feel so much pressure to make everything wonderful for them. I want my mother-in-law to relax for once and just sit back and be pampered instead of working hard and dealing with soo many kids and grandkids. I want my sister-in-law to have an adventure here because it's her first out of country trip. Woo HOO!!!!! :D SO I want to have lots of relaxed fun. Things they don't get to see and do in Lebanon. Things I take for granted being an American and now living in UAE. Maybe ice skating at the mall, going for a day trip to AbuDhabi to the beaches there...stuff like that.
Sooo I have to deal with keeping my house spik and span, cooking meals that will satisfy a LOT of people (and have it tasty enough) and variety enough, and getting my kids to bond with my in-laws again. I'm very nervous about the cooking part because I don't want my mother-in-law to feel that she HAS to help me in the kitchen (though it's normal Arab style to help out when visiting) and I want to impress them with my hidden cooking skills. Normally it's basics I make and maybe once a week or once every two weeks I cook a wow dish. I'm now gonna have to make WOW dishes daily...maybe *gasp* multi-times daily. Plus because of my "un"-diet I'm on and the pattern that my kids and I eat that there will be conflicts. We eat like 5-6 small meals and snacks during the day and they eat the regular three type big meals. I cannot get sucked back into that three a day habit or I WILL GAIN MASSIVE WEIGHT. Maybe they will like my schedule?!?!? It will take a large chunk from my cleaning time though to do all this cooking and pre-preparing WOW dishes......
And obviously my blogging time..... so this is advanced notice that I wont be on checking my comments and replying for prob the first week starting the 25th, just posting the comments and I'll get back to replies later. I'll type up some posts for future posting so you'll still get to read while I'm busy busy busy.
I have to just try and remember they are only here 22 days and I must strive for quality bonding not perfectionism.... but I do want them to feel like the trip was worth it.

4 intelligent thoughts:

HF said...

awww have a GR8 time! just dun over stress urself, take a chill pill :p n have a blast!

Umm Ibrahim said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Insha'Allah you'll have a nice times with ils over! Enjoy cooking with your mil, maybe you'll learn a thing or two. I know I really need to pay attention and learn some recipes from my sil when we go to Algeria in 2 weeks time insha'Allah. :-)

American Muslima Writer said...

thanks Hab! I'll try not to stress!

lol Unn Ibrahim, i love cooking with my MIL and SIL but cooking FOR them makes me nervous lol. but yes they taught me sooo much about cleaning and cooking over the years. When i first got to Leb i couldn't even make my bed daily much less take care of a house and they taught me sooo much.

Miss Muslimah said...

Totally unrelated to post but im so glad you decided going with the pop-up comment thingy...much more convenient! Good girl! :P lol....and btw,you're blog is a pain,its giving me problems again!

Support Earth Hour March 26, 8:30pm, Turn Off Your Lights!

Earth Hour - Proudly Committed